He walks into the room and catches your eye. Oh, the butterflies. Staying up late talking - learning everything about each other. Spending hours getting your makeup just right. The tension as you walk next to each other, hoping he’ll hold your hand. Then your hands accidentally bump. Time stands still during that first kiss.
But somewhere along the way things fizzle out. Maybe it’s you, maybe it’s him. Either way - breakups are uncomfortable. Who wants to deal with all those emotions? You know - the crying; the sniffling; and the snot running. But we can’t blame him for being him and besides…you are pretty awesome.
So, instead of the usual “it’s not you, it’s me…” awkward conversation, we’ve compiled a list of 10 other ways to end a relationship.
10. Excuse yourself from dinner with his family and crawl out the bathroom window
9. Tell him you must leave earth to fight an alien invasion and may not return for 130 years
8. Send him your obituary
7. Sign up for the witness protection program and never talk to him again
6. Send smoke signals
5. Have your mom let him down gently
4. Ask if the ceiling needs to be painted and then run when he looks up
3. "Admit” that you’re in love with Zac Effron and you’re leaving to go be with him
2. Play “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé and put your hands up
1. Tell him your relationship is like a fat guy- it’s just not working out
Ok, maybe some of those won’t work. Although, more than a few made us laugh. The truth is, breakups are hard. But there are a few ways to make it easier.
1. Think about what you want. Sometimes, he doesn’t do anything wrong. You’re just different people wanting different things out of life. And that’s okay. It’s also okay to talk about those differences. This is a great time for you to be brave and speak your truth.
2. Practice what you are going to say, especially if you’re nervous or uncomfortable. Practicing ahead of time will help you organize your thoughts and make the conversation go smoother.
3. Think about what he might think or feel so that you are prepared on how to respond. He might feel hurt…which may come out as anger. If he says something mean or acts like you don’t matter, how will you respond? Remember, you do matter, but he may try to hurt your feelings if he feels hurt.
4. Do it in person. (but- but, it’s so much easier to do over text or snapchat.) Yah, we know. But how would you feel if you got that message? In-person breakups are the compassionate way to end a relationship and gives the possibility of having a friendship after the fact. That awkward, emotional ending is healing for both of you in its own way.
5. Be honest, but not mean. If he asks what went wrong, you don’t have to give him every detail. Maybe just the main points. If he points the finger at you, you don’t have to point out other things he did wrong. The truth is, relationships work when both people want one. You wanting out means you don’t have to agree AND you don’t have to argue anymore.
Share with friends and follow us on social media @credencegirl